Monday, April 30, 2012

Cheetah Chase 8 Mile Race Report

Saturday was a busy day for me.  I decided early in the week that with (what I thought was an 8 a.m. start time) I could do this race and be back home in time to get Monkey to her 10:15 soccer game.  So the decision was made, registration form was filled out and pizza was eaten the night before.  I laid out everything the night before so I could be ready to go by 7, since I didn't pre-register for this race I needed to be out there early enough to be ready for the start.

Now remember at the top I wrote how I thought it was an 8 a.m. race start.  I was wrong and read the form wrong.  It was an 8 a.m. race start for the fun mile.  The 8 and 4 mile race started at 8:30.  No biggie.  I was already there, paid and was waiting to go, so I sucked it up, reevaluated my time plan and just decided to go straight to the field from the game.  The hubs would have to get the girls ready for their games but that shouldn't be a problem, I had everything laid out the night before.

So the director of the race goes over the ground rules and points out that they marked the course as best as they could but there was still a lot of roots and stuff and that the trail was a single trail, which meant that going around people was going to take patience.  He finally yelled go and off we went.

It was trail race in all sense of the word trail.  I decided to just follow people as long as I could without feeling like I was on their butt the whole time and pass when I could.  The course was very pretty but with all the roots and stuff, I kept my eyes down the whole time.  At the 3.5 mark, the four milers went on to the finish line while the 8 milers kept on trucking.  I did end up having to walk some during this race because it was a lot tougher than I was ready for and my legs where killing me.

I ended up finishing the race in an hour and 9 minutes.  I was very happy with that time because I had given myself an hour and 15 minutes to finish.   I came in 2nd place for my age group (30-39).  I'll definitely be back to do this race again next year.  It was tough but so much fun at the same time.

Afterwards, I drove like crazy to get to Monkey's game.  Since she is on the U6 team, they don't keep score but she is loving her first season of soccer.

Then we headed over to the other fields for Bug's game.  Her team lost by two points but it wasn't because of effort.  The Warriors played hard and I was very proud of them.  Soccer season is busy for us right now but I'm loving every minute of it.

Angela :)

No comments:

Post a Comment