Monday, December 5, 2011

Jingle Bell Jog 10k Race Report

So Saturday morning I ran the Jingle Bell Jog 10k race.  I love this race.  This was my first race back after Monkey was born.  I do it every year and I don't plan on stopping any time soon. 

This year I decided to be a little festive and wore knee high snowmen socks.  I loved them.  They never fell down and they didn't distract me.  I'm thinking knee high socks are going to be the way to go throughout this winter marathon training.

The 10k started at 8 a.m.  I had all intentions of getting up at 6:15 and getting to the race at 7:15 for a mile warmup but for some reason I was awake at 5:30 so I paid a couple of bills and then went and laid back down for a few more minutes of beauty sleep and before I knew it, it was 6:40 and I was scrambling around the house trying to get ready. 

I had peanut butter toast and my normal Diet Pepsi and made my way down to the race site.  I met my mom there at 7:30 and we wandered around, used the porta-potties and then went back to the truck to get rid of our sweaters and such.

The race started right on time at 8 a.m.  Since I started up front, I didn't have to weave around people, so I was able to quickly get into a good run and just went with it.  At the halfway point (3.1 miles) I cruised in at 24:XX and just kept on going.  At the 4 mile marker, I knew I was doing really good because when I looked down at my watch (which I made myself not do) I hit it at 30:XX.  The last time I looked at my watch was when I hit the finish line to stop it and it said 49:53.  I almost started crying right there because I really had no expectations for this race but to finish it.  I didn't think I was in speed shape but I guess my body is really liking the faster paces, at this moment.  Last year I finished this race in 51:XX.

I'm super excited for the new 10k PR and I'm looking forward to next year to see what I can do.

Angela :)

1 comment: