Monday, August 29, 2011

Long Run for the Children Race Report

I haven't updated my daily mile account with this race because I haven't taken the time to upload the info from my watch.  In all honesty, I'm disappointed with my time and the fact that I cut the race short by 3.1 miles.  I only did the 10.5k race.  I was tired, it was hot and my Ipod died at mile 4.  I knew without a doubt there was going to be no way I was going to make the last 3.1 miles with no music because the course doesn't offer much in the way of people cheering you on.  I also knew I would have no one else with me after the finish line of the 10.5k, so I just quit. 

Let's start at the beginning shall we.  Friday night I had pizza for dinner.  This doesn't bother my stomach at all and it's actually become a sort of ritual before any race nowadays.  I also take a bath and shave my legs before bed, so that's what I did.  I was in bed by 10:30 for a 6 a.m. wakeup call.

6 a.m. rolls around and I finally drag myself out of bed at 6:10, grab a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a cup of coffee.  I did my business and was out the door by 7 for a 7:30 race start.  Since I live in walking distance of the race, driving was really faster and I made perfect timing arriving at the race pickup at 7:05.  Got my mom and my packet and went to the car to wait for her to show up. 

At 7:15 I took the 5-hour energy shot and took a little jog to get everything settled.  The race started at 7:30 and we were off.  I started in the back but before long I was closing in on the pack leaders and started counting off the girls.  Right after the 2nd mile, I was on the heels of the lead female but she sensed my presence and started running faster.  For some reason I tried to keep up but by the time we hit mile 3, she started to become a small dot in the distance, so I just settled back down into my own groove thing and just ran.  Once I hit mile 6, the third place female was right beside and I told her that I was just going to stay with her.  She actually helped push me up the last hill and we ran in almost together.  I think I just let her go on in before me because I couldn't push myself any harder.  Once I stopped running, I downed a bottle of water (or 3) and we walked over to where the awards were going to be handed out.

My mom ran the 5k and had her first race day surprise.  She ran all 3.1 miles without stopping.  She was so proud of herself and I was really proud of her.  I knew exactly how she felt.  I remember the first time I ran 9 miles without stopping, then 10, then 11, then 12.  Those moments never really leave you and I'm super excited to feel it again after I run 15 miles.  Coming up sooner rather than later.

Anywho, she won 3rd in her age group and I got first in mine. 

Side note, while I was waiting on the awards for the 10.5k race, I decided to stop by the Walgreens tent and have my blood pressure checked.  They were doing it for free and it's been a while since I've had mine check.  When I sat down I told the nurse that my heart rate was at 97.  She said that was fine and when she checked my blood pressure it was 98/68 and my heart rate was then at 77.  She was a little concerned but said it was probably due to the fact that I was so "small" (her words not mine, I don't see myself as small).  I feel fine it just has me a little worried.

There you have it.  I'm now on a two week/no running plan.  The hubs and I are going to start all over with Insanity today and that's all I'm going to be doing for the next two weeks.  Working on getting things in shape and working on my nutrition. 

Have a wonderful Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment