Saturday, March 12, 2011

Under the Oaks and Around the Town 5K Race

So this morning I had a 5K race.  I only ran this race because it was literally in walking distance from my house and any races that close, you just have to do.

Instead of getting up at an ungodly hour, I actually got up at the same time I get up on mornings that I don't go to the gym, 6:50 a.m.  I had a small Snicker's Energy Bar that I got from the Snicker's Marathon the weekend before and I took along a Cliff Shot Chocolate Cherry gel. 

I left the house at 7:15 and ran a warmup mile on the way to get my race packet and number.  This bag was stuffed to the brim full of stuff.  I know have enough pens and pencils that I shouldn't have to buy any for a while.

At about 7:40 I took the gel.  It wasn't one of my favorites but it wasn't terrible.  I find these gels to be a lot thicker than Hammer Gels but a better taste than Gu gels.  Anyways moving on, this gel offered 2x the caffeine and I prayed it would work. 

I wasn't in the least bit trying to PR at this race, nor was I actually going to race it but when the race director yelled "GO" I took off like a bat out of hell.  I guess the caffeine in the gel was working.  At first I was going to stick by this lady that I usually try to keep up with when I run 5k races but the next thing I knew she was behind me and I just kept on cruising. 

Mile 1 - 7:32 - Dear Lord I never run this fast but I can see the first place girl just 6 guys ahead of me, just maybe I can pass her.

Mile 2 - 7:33 - Okay 4 guys down, only 2 to go.  Let's hope I can get ahead of these guys and catch this girl.

Mile 3 - 7:46 - I just didn't have the kick in me to catch her and 2 of the 4 guys I passed during mile 2 have now passed me.  I'll be fine as long as no girls pass me.

.1 - 7:24 - Just to get this race over with.  I'm worn out and so ready for this race to be over with.

Total miles: 3.1
Age group award - First 30-34 female
Total place overall 8th out of somewhere around 60ish.
2nd place female.

New 5K PR: 23:32

Then I waited around afterwards to collect my age group medal and then I ran home for the cool down mile.

It was really a fun race and I'm glad I got a new PR out of it.  I'm that much closer to the sub 23's again.  I'm hoping to one day be back at the 21's in 5ks and I'm getting closer.

My racing is now going to come to an end until June.  With Bug's soccer starting back up, I've decided to just run and keep my mileage up for when I start getting ready for the 15.5k in August.  I'm still going to be working on my speed and hopefully I'll have a new PR in the June race.

Angela :)

1 comment:

  1. I try to live by the "do all the races that start within walking distance" to my apartment motto but living next to Millennium/Grant park in downtown Chicago means there are TONS of races outside my doorstep! I do what I can though, and this rule is a key reason why I run the Chicago Marathon every single year:) And the reason why I'm going to get into triathlons this year so that I can do the Chicago Triathlon since it starts about 400 meters from my front door! Sweet PR, way to go!

    ReplyDelete