Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Tempo Run Success

It was a beautiful 52 degrees when I went out for my tempo run on my lunch break.  I changed my routine up a little before the run and took a Gatorade Prime Pre-Game Fuel.  It tasted great and my stomach didn't have a negative reaction to it, so I say it was a success.  Not sure if I can contribute my speediness to that or if it was because my legs just felt great but I managed to squeak out 5 miles in 42:17.  I'm thinking of making the Pre-Game Fuel a huge part of my running routine, especially when I have speed work, tempo runs, and long runs.

Here's the splits:
Mile 1 - 8:53 (warm-up)
Mile 2 - 7:50 (Beginning of the tempo run)
Mile 3 - 8:02
Mile 4 - 8:13 (End of tempo run)
Mile 5 - 9:18 (cool down)
Total miles - 5
Total time: 42:17
Average pace: 8:27
Calories Burned: 509

I'm finding that I like to stay comfortably around the 9 minute mark when warming up and cooling down.  I seem to have no problem running that pace for a while and I was suppose to do the tempo miles around an 8:19 minute mile.  I told myself before the run to try to stick to 8 minute miles and I was very pleased with my results.  Yes I can tell that by the time I get to the end and know it, I tend to slow down, I have a feeling that if I pushed myself harder I could have had an 8:02 mile again but I'm not going to get upset about it.

Next week I have speedwork and since I'm going to be in Alabama, I'm going to have to find a way to make this work.  This is going to be a time I'm going to be wishing for a track.

Have a great day.
Angela :)

No comments:

Post a Comment