Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Taper Week

So Sunday started my week of taper for the half marathon that is this Saturday.  Last Saturday morning I ran 10 miles in 1:32 for an average pace of 9:14/min.  I was going to go for 12 miles but when I hit mile 5, I saw a dog crossing the road about half mile up and decided I didn't want to take chances with the dog.  I was on a major highway out in the country where people do not feel the need to keep dogs behind fences or chained up.  Even though I carry pepper spray, I just didn't really want to chance it.  I knew where I stood after 11 miles, so I figured adding in that extra mile wouldn't really help me nor would it hurt me so I turned around and headed home.

I also had a chocolate hammer gel at mile 5.  Not my favorite.  It was thick and not something that I really wanted. So I only had half of it and then just chucked it away. 

Since I'm only 4 days away from my race, I have already decided on time goals and will go ahead and post them, since it's all I can think about anyway.

A goal: 1:50.  In order to hit this goal, I would need to run an 8:24/mile pace.  I honestly don't believe I can do this but it's my A goal and one I would be very excited to see, and I'm not saying I can't do this, I just don't think I'll be able to.

B goal: 2:00.  In order to hit this goal, I would have to hold a 9:10/mile pace.  This is something I can do and I believe I'll be able to sustain this pace throughout the whole half marathon.  The course is very flat and I where I train is semi-flat with a small hill thrown in here and there.  If I can hold a 9:14 pace for 10 miles on some small hills, then I should be able to blow this pace out of the water.

C goal: 2:10.  My PR at the moment is 2:14.  Considering I've ran my last two long runs in the 9:10 to 9:30 paces, I know for a fact that I can hold a 9:56 pace in order to get to this goal.  I would be happy with this time, if I'm having an off day and it's a PR, so I will have this one listed but not what I'm going for.

So there you have it.  My three biggest goals for this race coming up.  Tomorrow I'm posting my outfit choice and the reasoning behind it.  I hope I can make it through this maddening week with my nerves and such. 

Angela :)

No comments:

Post a Comment