Sunday, June 13, 2010

Watermelon Road Race 12K Recap

Last start this recap off by saying it was H O T out there this morning.

Now on to how the whole thing went down.

Night before the race.  I usually carbo load the night before any race.  I always order the spagetti from my favorite restaurant and head home to curl up in my recliner and eat while watching Food Network.  I've always done it this way and it never fails me....BUT I changed my pre-race meal up this time and I will never do that again.

My aunt calls me while I'm on my way to get the girls and ask if I wanted to come out to my grandmother's and eat with them.  They were having a fish fry and I knew that this would be a very rare opportunity for me to eat fish.  The hubs is not a fish eater, so I only eat it when he's not around.  He was working late, on his Saturday job, so I could go run Saturday morning.  I picked up the girls, ran to my cousin's house, who I talked into coming with me, and we went to eat at my grandmother's house.

We finally get home around 8.  I get Monkey into bed, get my outfit picked out for the race and go to check Bug's mp-3 player, which I have been using.  It's dead but it's been charging since Thursday.  Strange, so I gather all my stuff together for my mp-3 player and make sure the battery is good for mine.  I also make sure that Lil G is charged and ready to go.

I go to bed around 10 and actually fall asleep only to wake up 40 minutes later with the worst pain shooting from my foot.  From then on the night gets worse.  I toss and turn most of the night.  I finally fall back to sleep around 12:30 only to be awakened a couple of minutes later because my razor feel from where I had stuck it in the bathroom.  Finally fall back to sleep around 1:30 only to be awakened around 2:30 because Monkey had woken up.  Finally I fall back to sleep and wake up a few minutes before the alarm goes off at 6.  WORST NIGHT OF SLEEP EVER BEFORE A RACE.

Morning of the race.  I actually leave the house on time and go to Mikey D's for a bacon, egg, and cheese bagel.  Best morning race fuel for me.  I enter the info for the race into the Garmin Nuvii and I'm off.  Thankfully I didn't get lost and actually got to the gym that was hosting the race in plenty of time.  Get my race shirt and other goodies and go warm up.

The race is suppose to start at 7:50 and it actually starts at 7:51 so I was very pleased with them fairly on time.  In this race the director actually has every one line up according to their paces, which I liked because it kept me from weaving to much around people.

Mile 1 - 8:06
I knew I started out way to fast but I was feeling pretty comfortable so I just went with it.

Mile 2 - 8:35
It started to get hot in the places where there was not much try coverage. 

Mile 3 - 9:18
Passed the finish line, for the first time, here and watch as the 5Ker's were finishing.  Semi-wished I had signed up for the 5K but also felt great knowing I was racing a new distance for me.

Mile 4 - 9:40
It was during this mile that I stopped and had my hammer gel and got my first bottle of water.  It was the best water ever.  I did stop and walk about 20ft during this mile.

Mile 5 - 10:58
I was struggling by this point.  Everything on me was complaining in protest and I was beyond hot.

Mile 6 - 10:29
Passed by the finish line, for the second time, and really considered going on through the finish line but knew I would have felt terrible for it, so I ran on by it.

Mile 7 - 11:04
This mile was ran on a sidewalk that had a tree down and was uphill some.  I live in pancake flat area where the only hills we have are on people's driveways.  This was a tough mile but I knew that I was almost through.

.54 - 9:17
The good thing about this area was it was a downhill sprint to the finish line.  We ran down the same hill three times so when I saw the red mustang that was sitting at this area I knew I was almost finished and I actually told the girl that was standing there, "Thank goodness it is almost over with."  We also met back up with the people who were just finishing the 10K. 

Total miles 7.54
Total time 1:13:08
Calories burned 767

Post race.  I stayed around long enough after the race to get my watermelon (they were giving them away, hence the name of the race Watermelon Road Race) got some water, used the bathroom and booked it back home because we had to go to the hub's granddad's 90th birthday party.

Here's the bad part of my weekend, our air conditioner broke down sometime yesterday.  When we got home from the party the air conditioner said it was 85 and that it was on cooling.  I told the hubs and he looked around to see if he could tell what was wrong.  I finally called the repair man this morning because at the moment it's 88 degrees outside and 84 degrees in my house.  NOT GOOD FOR LIVING IN SOUTH GEORGIA.  The temperature got up to 99 yesterday so I can only imagine how bad it is going to get today.  The repair man should be here shortly.

So that's my race in a nutshell.  I have a new 12K PR of 1:13.  I might just run this race again next year to prove to the course that I can do better.

Next up on the racing schedule a 5K at Loop the Lake.  Contemplating jumping into the lake when it's over.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a tough run! I think you made awesome time :-)