Saturday, June 26, 2010

Loop the Lake 5k Race Report

A new 5k PR was made during this race today.  But I'll leave everyone is suspense until the end to find out the time.

Night before the race.

I usually carbo load and after the Watermelon Road Race change, I didn't want to change it up again.  Instead of getting spagetti, my all-time favorite, I opted to eat some pizza and bread sticks.  It was delicious.  I got all my gear together, took a bath to shave the legs and went to bed around 10:45 or so.

Day of the race.

I set my alarm to wake me at 6:20 but woke up about 10 minutes before the alarm went off.  Laid in bed for about five minutes before I decided to go ahead and get up and get going.  Changed my normal pre-race breakfast of Mickie D's bagel to the Egg McMuffin.  I still couldn't finish it all because of the nerves.  I did have my normal Diet Pepsi though.  Can't race without that.

Got to the golf course with 40 minutes to spare, got my goodie bag, put my chip on my shoe, attached my number and did a slow warmup with lots of stretching.  I think that was key to my success.

In most of the races I've run, I have never heard the National Atheme played before we took off but at this race, they did that and then said go and we were off.

Mile 1 - 7:33 - I spent some time weaving in and out of people and I even started in the middle of the pack.  Finally found a good place to be around a quarter of a mile in and just got into a hard but comfortable pace.  It was during this mile that I caught the 1st place master female but after she grabbed a cup of water (I believe it contained speedy things in it) she left me in her dust.

                                            This is around the first mile.  I look like a chipmunk, LOL!!!

Mile 2 - 7:58 - During this mile I came upon a boy who kept speeding up in front of me and then would slow down, so when I passed him, he would speed up again.  That really drives me crazy but I guess it was because of him that kept me going.  It was also during this mile that I think I poured more water up my nose than I did down my throat.  That was no fun.  It was during this mile that I found out that I was the 3rd place female overall.  That surprised me.  I just couldn't believe it.

Mile 3 - 8:00 - When I hit this mile, the lady that was behind (4th place) passed me and I just didn't have it in me to catch her.  I should have but I couldn't so I let 3rd slip by me with only seconds to spare.  I honestly didn't care.

.03 - 6:14 - Now according Lil G the course was only 3.03 but the distance of the course was different on others who had Garmins.  That little boy who kept passing me and then slowing down to pass me again, got me at the end where he all of a sudden came sprinting from nowhere.  I semi-wanted to push him after the race was over but really I was just in need of water.

Total Miles 3.03
Total Calories Burned 310
New PR Time 23:44

So as you can see I didn't get the A goal of 22:30 and I didn't even get my B goal of 23:30 but I was very close and I'm not even upset about missing either goal.  This was one of the best races I've done in a long time and I'm so very excited for my next 5k in August.

1st place for my age group (25-29) (12 girls total)
4th female overall
45th place out of 287 runners!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Great job with the new PR and first in your age group... Awesome!

    ReplyDelete