Thursday, May 20, 2010

When did this happen

I've been reading through people's blogs, yes I'm that the type of person that goes back to when you first started and will read everything that was ever written until I get to the new posts. In a lot of them I'm finding that sharing how you started running is really called for. So here's my story of how I started running.

I've loved running for as long as I can remember. Back in elementary school I held the school record for the mile at 7:11. I believe I held it until I went to middle school and then someone else took over in that position. I remember doing the four laps around the football field thinking that it was the easiest thing out there. I would stand with the coach afterwards and just talk to him while all the other students finished. Upon entering high school, I had a free period in gym and a friend of mine asked if I wanted to run laps around the school gym with her. I did and the next thing I knew I was talking to the track coach and he was telling me that I needed to go down to the health department, make sure I was healthy, bring the form back to him and that was it, I was on the track team.

I ran the 800 and mile when I first started track. The second year my track coach asked me to sign up for cross country because I was a long-distance runner and because cross country is ran during the fall and track during the spring, this would give me plenty of training time. So I did just what my coach asked to me to do, I signed up for cross country and that's where my passion for the 5K came from. My first official 5K race was the worst race of my life. I was second to last. But as the weeks went on and the meets were held, I started to improve and improve I did. By the time season was over I was running a 22 minute 5K and was usually second or third overall. My coach awarded me the "most improved runner" award at the end of cross country. When track started back up, I was taken off of the 800 and placed in the mile and 2 mile race. I loved every minute of track and cross country and was really sad when school came to an end because my running went with it also.

About two years ago, I was asked if I would run in the Jingle Bell Jog 5K. Considering my love for 5Ks I signed up. Thinking I wouldn't need much training, I didn't do much and that run showed my lack of running. I think I ran it in 30:00 or somewhere around there. The following month I signed up for another 5K race and my love affair for the races started back up in full force.

A full year after starting back with the racing, I signed up to run the Snicker's Half Marathon. I followed a half-marathon training that suited me and incorporated spinning into my exercise. The week before the race I did 12 miles in 2:30 (my longest run ever). I felt pretty confident from that run. On the day of the race I ran 13.1 in 2:14. I was EXCITED and thus my love affairs for the half marathon is now in full bloom. I have raced in another half marathon just yet. I've got my eyes on one in Panama City Beach, Florida in October.

Running has changed me in so many different ways. I can usually tell when I'm about to loose it and when I put on my running gear and hit the pavement running, by the time it's over (be it 3 miles, 5 miles, etc.) I feel so much better and whatever was causing me to stress is usually forgotten. When I started back to running I was somewhere around 160lbs. Not pretty on a 5'4 frame. I now weight 130lbs and I'm very happy with this weight. I don't have a diet I follow, I eat in moderation and if chocolate just happens to be what I'm eating, then I don't feel guilty for doing so. Running is my drug of choice and something I look forward to every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment