Sunday, March 6, 2011

Snicker's Half Marathon Race Recap

This morning was the 5th annual Snicker's Marathon in Albany, Georgia.  This is my second year running the half.  Last year I ran it in 2:14.  It was my first half marathon and I went into it with not much training behind me.  I only ran one long run of 12 miles and it took me 2:20 to get it done.  Boy how a year has made a huge difference.

First I purchased a Garmin 310.  Then I started looking at different gels and settled on my favorite of Hammer gels.  Then I started uploading all my runs and reading as much as I could about running.  Next up, I changed my training plans and managed to get in four great long runs 10, 11, 11, and 12.  I went into this run knowing I could do it, that I had this race.

On Friday night I had my normal meal of carbs and made sure everything was laying out and in order.

Here's my race day outfit (ignore my unmade bed, it never gets made.)  I chose the hotpink Old Navy running shorts and paired it was an Old Navy white top and some arm sleeves that I got from the expo (I'll have a review of those sleeves coming even though I paid for them with my own money.)  I also wore my pink RoadId.

The morning of the race I was up early, like 5 a.m.  I just couldn't sleep and decided to go ahead and get on up.  I ate some peanut butter toast and drank my normal Diet Pepsi.  Took care of all the bathroom necessities and headed to Walmart for some bananas.  I needed something else besides the peanut butter toast but I also just couldn't keep sitting around the house.

I finally get downtown where the race is being held a full 30 minutes before the start.  It's a madhouse but because I live here, I was able to cruise around all the side streets and get to the Civic Center without to much hassle.  That's the best part about hometown races, you know all the side roads and stuff.

Anywho, moving on.  At 7 a.m. on the dot, they shoot the cannon and we are off.

Mile 1 - 8:06
Mile 2 - 8:11
Mile 3 - 8:19
Mile 4 - 8:21
Mile 5 - 8:30
Mile 6 - 8:48
Mile 7 - 8:58
Mile 8 - 8:57
Mile 9 - 9:04
Mile 10 - 9:11
Mile 11 - 9:31
Mile 12 - 9:44
Mile 13 - 9:52
.27 - 8:18
Total time: 1:57

I started to die somewhere around Mile 9 as you can see.  This is also in the race where you think the road you are running on is going to lead you down to the finish line, but nope you make a right turn and go back through the avenues.  It's a teaser of sorts and I was really starting to feel the ache in my legs.

As I was rounding the corner to finish the last .1 of the race, I happened to look up and there are my two girls and the hubs standing there cheering me on.  I so wish I had a camera or that I had remembered to put fresh batteries in the camera for the hubs.  I so know the look on my face was priceless when I saw them because I wasn't expecting them to be down there.  See the hubs had told me that if it started to rain, he was just going to keep the girls at home and wait on me to get there.  As you can see it put a pep in my step and I ran in strong.

Afterwards, I stumbled around for a few minutes getting some water and trying not to puke.  I also had to look for the family and that's when my calf muscles and the arches in my feet started to seize up on me.  So I had the bright idea to sit down.   HUGE MISTAKE.  My thigh muscles then started to seize up and I was one big ball of pain. 

I was 195th out of 816 and 13th female in my age group out of 86.  Not too shabby if I do say so myself.

Angela :)

No comments:

Post a Comment