Monday, October 18, 2010

Lessons learned

Okay first I want to say that I found out yesterday, from Active.com, that I was the 19th girl to cross the finish line and first in my age group.  Heck ya.  I emailed the race director this morning and they are going to mail me my winnings.  I so can't wait.

As for my lessons learned, I have quite a few that I'm giong to be taking with me into the next training cycle.
First, I don't need to start training like a year away from most races.  I believe a good four to three months out is good enough for a half, especially considering your longest training run is going to top out at 12 miles.

Second, cross training does help.  Even though I didn't do it as often as I should have, the little bit I did, did wonders.  I'm going to stick with the abs class two times a week and try to work in spin 3 times a week.  Considering I'm teaching one, that means I only need to get two in and they are going to be on Tuesday and Friday at 5:45. 

Third, tempo runs, speedwork, track running is a must.  Even though I did manage to get in some good tempo runs, for some reason I never made it to the track for my speed work.  I always came up with an excuse.  NO MORE!!!  I'm going to be more dedicated for my next half.

Fourth, have fun.  There were some times in my training that I let the schedule dictate how my run was  going to go down.  I didn't have fun and I did it because my training schedule said I had to.  The days that I decided to just do what I felt like doing, I loved running.  I'm planning on revamping my already made training schedule for the March Snicker's Half Marathon, but I'm not going to let it dictate my every run.

That's all for now.  I'll have more as the week goes on.  As for right now, I'm stuffing myself full of everything I can get my hands on.  I feel like a fat cow, but I'm happy.  Tomorrow I'm planning on getting up early and heading to the gym for a spin class and the start of weight lifting.    I know I said I was going to take a whole week off from running, but who am I kidding, my legs feel ready to go for a run but I think I'm going to wait until Wednesday and get in a light 3/4 miler just to see where I'm at.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Angela :)

No comments:

Post a Comment